Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Some Days We Just Need Reminding...

I have been having the kind of summer that flew by so fast I felt like I hardly got to do anything fun just for myself or just with my husband. Usually, I welcome summer time (where the living is supposed to be easy) with open arms, but this summer was so full of traveling and crises and school and work and stress that I don't feel like we got any sort of real break.  That being said, I have had to kick myself in the tushy about being an Eeyore about life lately.  I mean the occasional Eeyore day is acceptable but not an entire Eeyore season! I need to be more like Tigger and start seeing things positively. For instance...
  • There is always a cold side to the pillow, which is nothing to frown about!
  • BBQ and wedding food makes you gain weight, but at the cost of fabulous times with family and friends and the creation of wonderful memories - I'd say that pays off.
  • Weekends full of traveling and minimal sleep makes for one long work week but trading that off with time well spent building relationships with family makes it worth it. Remember that.
  • The Rockies aren't going anywhere, so maybe we didn't escape to see a baseball game this summer but our grandparents won't be around forever - The Rockies can wait.
  • The hubs only golfed once this season. Read it again, I said once! This is unheard of, but he got many opportunities instead to be a good friend, husband, brother, son...he'll golf next year.
  • We didn't get to go on one hike or mountain drive this year in the lazy fashion of no deadlines, no worries, no worldly factors, but what we DID get to do was travel freely, day or night, without the worries of I-80 being closed or covered in black ice.
  • I found time to make homemade ice cream.  A few times.  De-li-cious.
  • Playing catch in the front yard during the cool evening is no sad thing.
  • I adore the way the lawn looks on the day it is freshly cut.  It's so neat and tidy!
  • I love to sleep with all the windows hanging open and the doors only with screens so my home gets a freshening before winter comes and it must be closed up again.
  • Grocery shopping and saving close to 50% is the best day ever.
  • Yay for fruit being in season!
  • I discovered SO MANY new recipes this summer that I am positive will live on to be family favorites.
  • We purchased our Honeymoon vacation - woot woot!
  • The hubs got a grill for his birthday and he has put it to good use, even on the weekdays, all summer long.
  • The weather was nice enough I could walk home from work.
  • Flowers bloomed.
  • Grass grew.
  • Birds sang.
  • Babies were born.
  • Life moved on.
So you see, I just needed a little reminder that summer wasn't all that bad, and even in our busy, chaotic, stressful, every-day lives - there is sunshine.

2 comments:

  1. I had to write a "it's the little things" blog last week JUST to make MYSELF feel better haha! I feel ya! <3 Good reminders, especially the fattening BBQ one. ;)

    OMG YOUR TRIP IS SO SOON RIGHT!

    ReplyDelete