Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Cha Cha Changes


How does that old adage go? The more things change, the more they stay the same? I say that is crap…as we embark on the beginning of a new semester I swear I already feel the stress and lack of sleep that will come with the newness we are going to encounter this time around.  I can feel the changes sneaking up on me and pouring into my veins. While there was a time in my life I dreaded the word change, I have changed my attitude and this go around, I am stoked.

Change 1:
The hubs is in his upper level classes.  While he is breathing a sigh of relief to finally be taking classes relevant to his major and fully prepared to enjoy the heck right out of them…I am breathing a sigh of dread knowing that his life – for the next 14 weeks – will consist of nothing but school and work.  Every ounce of “free” time he would normally have will be consumed with reading chapters out of his 300 dollar text book, taking notes on said reading, studying, cramming, writing, evaluating. While I welcome the end of his education on the horizon in the far off distance, I know what lies ahead and I pray daily that his brain doesn’t overload and completely explode.

Change 2:
My body. I am sick of being stuck where I am at with my weight.  I am not the “f” word (f-*-t) but I am also not thin. I have lost 20 pounds on portion control and smarter eating habits alone but it is time to take it a step further and add exercise into my life. So every Monday and Wednesday night I have a yoga class and every Tuesday and Thursday morning I have a Turbo Kick class. I am determined to stick with my schedule and make this a successful part of my life.  I will wear a bikini in 108 days on my cruise. You just watch me.

Change 3:
The hubs needs to work less to accommodate his rigorous academic schedule. Less money, less fun, more stress.

Change 4:
I am back in school.  To do what I should have done all those years ago –work towards teaching English at a secondary level.  Hello College of Education…nice to meet you. While I am confident this will provide happiness in the long run, I am nervous about remaining a full-time employee while working towards this goal and the extra stress it will bring to my life.

Change 5:
The weather: with school comes fall and with fall comes winter and with winter comes harsh times in L-Town.

There are many more but I don’t want to get crazily long winded here. All this brings me back to the point I want to make, which is that with the right attitude, change is just that…change.  It doesn’t have to be dramatic. It doesn’t have to be overwhelming, nor stressful, nor all-encompassing. We don’t have to drown in the sorrow of change. We can welcome it. We can have the right attitude about it, and this time around, as a married couple we have a united front to do so. These are good changes, you know the kind that come when watermelon is ripe, flowers bloom and new friends are made.

Attitude can make or break a situation and right now my attitude is that all these changes are going to be awesome. The hubs will start enjoying school because he likes the content of the class. I will look better in a bathing suit. Less work means less stressful hours of the hubs’ day filled with “delightful” customers and more hours of the day I get to be around him (even if he is studying his brains out). Classes for me mean pursuing something I love, something I am good at, and something that gives me great joy. Do I want to be a working mother? No. Do I want to be prepared to contribute if I need to or something ever happened to my hubs? Yes, yes I do. With the harshness of winter comes the beauty of snowfall, days curled under afghans with hot cider and literature, mornings spent sleeping in and cuddling under the warm covers.

See? Change isn’t all bad…in fact, it isn’t bad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment