Monday, June 20, 2011

The Great Tent Story

As the 4th of July nears and our annual family reunion gets closer and closer on our schedules, Doug and I have spent extensive amounts of time discussing camping.  The Shoopman’s have a family reunion every 4th of July in the mountains.  This will be my first reunion as a married woman and when this realization dawned on me I went into complete panic mode because we have NO camping supplies. None! Zero! PANIC!!

Ok, wait, I breathed for a minute and realized we have camping chairs. That’s a start, right? Oh! For our wedding my aunt and uncle gave us camping dishes (that was a great present)! I also have a flashlight for the frequent power outages our town experiences.  So….3 things? Yup, we have 3 things on the list of the billion things you need to spend 4 days in the great outdoors. Now, back to that panicking thing….

Last weekend while we were in Rock Springs Doug asked his Mom and Dad if they had a tent we could use and bless their hearts they did! So we borrowed a tent. This story is about that tent and my first experience putting a tent up. It goes like this…

Sunday, June 12, 2011

The roar of the crowd at the 6th game in the series echoed through the living room blaring through the speakers on the TV.  Dallas was up and I was pretty sure the Heat wasn’t going to be coming back so I was getting pretty bored.  I asked Doug how much time was left on the game and he answered with something like: “8 minutes, why?”

“Because I’m BORED. Let’s put up the tent.”

He looked at me like I was maybe crazy for a minute and then I proceeded to explain that we ought to make sure all the parts are there before we are at 8100 feet and stranded with a tent that could be missing a pole.  He agreed at this point and decided it wasn’t a bad idea after all. Well, at first he didn’t think it was a bad idea. That was until I told him we weren’t putting the tent up in the yard; we were putting it up in the living room. Duh.

I have no cognitive reasoning.  I will begin to rearrange an entire room without once measuring the wall I think that couch should fit on and end up putting it all back because my reasoning is that bad. Knowing this, Doug warned me the tent wouldn’t fit but I am pretty sure I am part mule and I chose to completely ignore him and move forward anyway.

Alas, he was right and I was moving chairs and stuffing corners of the tent under the couch but by George I was making this work! I wasn’t going to cave in to logic, you see, because that would have been….well, logical.

So I plowed forward putting the tent up and got the poles for the cross part placed through the loops and popped the tent up.  Then I told Doug I would just hold this part of the tent while he put the rest of the poles in.  He looked at me like I had three heads and said, “Have you ever put a tent up before?”

“No, I told you, I always stayed in someone’s 5th wheel!”

“Ok, well we need to put all the poles in while the tent is on the floor and pop them all up at once.”

So, we did and it was a great success! Tada! There was a tent in our living room! Woo hoo!

I quickly demanded he put the rain fly on so I could see it as well and I thought he was maybe putting it on backwards. I made the mistake of expressing this particular concern because he quickly said to me, “Listen, 5th wheel, you just stand over there and let me put this on.”

Finally, we had a tent.  I wanted to sleep in the tent and play camping all night but Doug was not at all as excited as I was about putting my first tent up and told me it was time to roll it up and put it away. Buzz kill.

I am glad we did a practice round. Now no one will see me making an utter fool of myself when we go camping over the 4th….which I am SUPER excited for. It will be a brand new tent experience!

1 comment:

  1. Yay for camping with family! That sounds like so much fun! I am glad you got all the embarrassing stuff out of the way & you won't have to make a fool of yourself - because, ya know, it's not like anyone read the embarrassing stuff in your blog or anything =) Have fun camping!!!!

    ReplyDelete