Thursday, November 17, 2011

Ford Rangers and Country Music

I spent the better part of my youth dying to be an adult. I couldn't wait to grow up and be my own woman, make my own rules, say shit and piss and damn and not have a soul tell me I couldn't.  I don't know what I was thinking. Seriously, I was totally insane. Now, I relish moments that take me back to my youth and remind me of how it felt to be so young and pure before the world had it's way with me.

Today, a red Ford Ranger blew past the pedestrians on campus blaring country music.  It was cold and the air swirled up around me biting at my exposed face and I was instantly transported to a different time in a different place over 10 years ago when 3 young teen aged girls were driving down a road with windows open in a red Ford Ranger singing at the top of their lungs, "Why don't you kiss....kiss this...and I don't me on my rosy red lips...because me and you, we're through, and there's only one thing left for you to do...just come on over her one last time, pucker up and close your eyes, and kiss this....goodbye." It brought tears to my eyes, if I had only known then how quickly I would be kissing that memory goodbye.

Who knows if the other girls even remember the incident or if it is a memory they treasure...but for me, that moment grounded me many times as I struggled my way through finding my path.  Now all grown up and seeking a second degree while nurturing a marriage and working a full time job, I find myself wishing I had cherished more the days of Ford Rangers and Country Music.

2 comments:

  1. I remember! I love you Ayzlynn Shoopman... (Yes, you will always be Ayzlynn Shoopman to me:)Reading THIS brought tears to my eyes. xoxo Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to make memories like this with you. You are amazing and I'm lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete