Friday, November 8, 2013

We're Planning a Party!

My husband likes to tell people he has been in school for 6 years. I like to correct him and tell people he has been in this town for 6 years, but certainly not focused on school for that long.  He took a semester off. He took a year of only taking one class each semester. He worked full time. He paid for things on his own, and because he went that route, it took a little longer to make the progress on his education he wanted.

The first year we were married, he went part time and worked full time, and after that year we made this huge decision for him to just quit his job, go to school full time, and get finished in two years.  It was terrifying. We had reservations. How would we live on my measly income? How would we make it on our own? Would he be successful at school? Alas, after many nights of weighing pros and cons, praying heavily, and planning for the future, a letter of resignation was written and 18 credit hours were registered for.

I remember that night, feeling like two years was going to be so long.  I remember how certainly I knew that the sacrifice would be worth it in the end. I also remember how certainly I knew that these next two years would take forever.  Yet, here we are.  Those two years have passed in the blink of an eye. Not only did we survive it when we cut our income in half, we thrived.  Douglas didn’t just endure the full time schedule at school, he excelled in it. We became stronger, more educated, closer, and happier than ever before.

And here we are.  Literally a month away from graduation and our 3 year wedding anniversary, filled with joy and a sense of accomplishment that we did this. Pride that HE did this. It’s all downhill from here, folks.

Congratulations to the man I love more than anything I’ve ever loved in this world. You have 17 more days of class.  I said 17.  Remember when this felt like a lifetime away?

1 comment: