Wednesday, November 27, 2013

It's The Simple Things

I avoided the gratitude challenge this year. I felt like I have enough going on in my life that I just didn’t want the added pressure of an eloquently written Facebook status every single night.  I have enjoyed reading other reasons for gratitude all month, but I also noticed that a lot of people didn’t mention any of the simple things in life.  So I challenged myself to think of 30 simple things in life that I wouldn't want to live without.  It was harder than I thought to keep is basic!
 
1 - Candles, but only the delicious smelling kind.
 
2 - Online shopping and shipping right to your door.  Seriously, I'd buy groceries that way if I could.
 
3 - Indoor plumbling and all that it entails, including but not limited to: hot water, Toilet paper, and daily showers.
 
4 - Mechanics to fix broken cars.
 
5 - The smell of a new book.
 
6 -  Surprises because the feeling of excitement is unbeatable.
 
7 - Pictures because I love to remember.
 
8 - Bleach, because, gross, germs.
 
9 - Cows, because, steak.
 
10 - Writing, journaling, blogging: whatever form it takes, it is my best form of personal reflection.
 
11 - Bills because it means I have a job to pay them.
 
12 - Underpants...I mean think about life without them.
 
13 - Kleenex, what a fantastic invention.
 
14 - The smell of a wood burning stove, the way it just smells cozy.
 
15 - Cream cheese, it is simply the most amazing food invented.  Well, mabye except for number 16.
 
16 - Bacon. See above.
 
17 - Headphones, so I can jam shamelessly to music I would otherwise pretend I don't listen to.
 
18 - Food storage, to get us through times when we need mechanics.
 
19 - On that note, the fact that we even need mechanics, because it means we have cars, which are so much convenient than driving a tem of jack asses across the state.  So, cars.
 
20 - Cell phones.  I mean I know something people let them consume them (I, myself, am guilty of this on occasion) but honestly, what a flipping fabulous invention to live with when my best friends and family are spread out across the country.
 
21 - Toothbrushes and toothpaste, they make chatting with people so much more enjoyable.
 
22 - Deodorant, for the same reason.
 
23 - My faith.
 
24 - Clothes, thank goodness we don't wear loin cloths anymore.
 
25 - Disposable diapers.  I don't use them because my loins have not yet begat an heir, but someday I will be happy they exist.
 
26 - Diet Coke.  Even if it is slowly killing me.
 
27 - Warm, fluffy, soft blankets.
 
28 - The gift of silence.
 
29 - Conversely, the figt of uproarious laughter.
 
30 - My husband.  You're right, he isn't such a simple thing to be grateful for, but simply put, he is the thing I am most grateful for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment