Thursday, April 26, 2012

"Beautiful Love Stories Should Happen Every Day"

I saw this picture today while I was cruising pinterest.  I go through these phases where I can't get enough of that stupid website and then I go through phases where I don't log on to it for weeks.  Today, I was tagged in a post, so I logged on and saw this...and I paused, and my heart slowed down and I felt peace.

The truth is, beautiful love stories should happen EVERY DAY. I also think the truth is, they do.  We just aren't looking hard enough.  In this world full of Hollywood RomComs and Chick-Flicks combined with Chick Lit and romance novels I think this idea of a beautiful love story gets distorted, it gets unrealstic, and in the process, it gets lost.

Beautiful love stories do not have to happen between two lovers.  There don't have to be romantic feelings for a person for it to be a beautiful love story. Don't get me wrong, I think there are some seriously amazing love stories I am blessed to either be witness to or involved in that are romantic relationships but that isn't the only form of love.

I saw a love story at the park the other day. I watched a young father teach his young child how to throw and catch a baseball.  Beautiful love story.

I saw a love story at church.  I watched a new Mom with tired eyes and worn out hands hold her new born and smile into his eyes as though he was all that there was in this world.  Beautiful love story.

I saw a love story in my own life.  I was invited to a party and being included in something fun and special with someone I adore warmed my heart. Beautiful love story.

I saw a love story at home when I walked in the door the other night and my giant Maine Coon sat cuddled with his feline brother in a rocking chair.  Beautiful love story.

I see love stories on my cell phone regularly when my friends and family reach out to make me laugh or keep in touch or just let me know they are thinking of me.  Beautiful love story.

I see a love story every time I am surrounded by my elderly grandparents.  They are old, so is their relationship intimate in the traditional way people think of? Probably not.  But they sit hand in hand.  His voice still calms her better than anyone else's.  They still protect and cherish one another fiercely.  Beautiful love story.

I see a love story in my husband every day we are together.  They aren't the love stories where he comes riding in on a white horse in armor or seduces me so seriously that my knees go week (although there is plenty of that, lets get real here), but rather the love story where he rubs a calf cramp out of my leg in the middle of the night. Or I come home from work to dinner on the table. Or he vacuums just because.  Or he leaves me a sweet note on my car. Or he does a load of laundry. Or he cares for me when I am ill.  Beautiful love story.

I see a love story when my little brother comes to town and my heart, along with my mother's, feels so full to be around him again.  Beautiful love story.

I see a love story when a pot of flowers tenderly cared for and nursed through the winter blooms again.  Beautiful love story.

I see a love story as spring settles in and summer teases us about showing up with green grass and gorgeous sunsets.  Beautiful love story.

I see a love story when I see cousins and siblings and friends love someone and circle the wagons to protect them in their darkest hours.  Beautiful love story.

I see a love story every time someone is engaged in laughter.  I especially admire the sparkle in the eye and look of pure bliss when the laughter is the deep, belly-bursting, soul-healing kind of of laughter. Beautiful, beautiful love story.

I see a love story every time I come home and marvel at the blessings that my Heavenly Father has given me: a home, a husband, a job, my health, a family, a firm set of good friends, my critters who are always happy to see me, the neighbor who always smiles and waves, music, a bed to sleep in at night, warm water, indoor plumbing, books, food in my belly (maybe too much sometimes) and so, so, so much more. Beautiful love stories.

So, it's true, a beautiful love story should happen every day.  It is also true, you see, that it does.  It just matters where we look.


2 comments: