Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Husbands don't diet, they kill it.


For the most part, I am pretty good about cooking dinner for my small family of two. I often cook too much for just two people and Doug winds up eating leftovers for lunch all week. Generally he comes home to a meal, but every once in awhile I get lazy. In the case of last night, I just flat out wasn’t hungry. Why cook something delicious if you really don’t need it anyway? Especially because I am busy trying to stay under my allotted 30 weight watchers points a day to loose some of this post-marriage bliss poundage. So, last night, I didn’t cook. I exercised and I drank 32 oz of water, read a book and was sitting on the couch ready to call it a night when my husband walked in the door.

“What’s for dinner?”

“Ummmmm…I didn’t make anything, I wasn’t hungry.”

“Ok, maybe I’ll make a pizza or have some left over ziti.”

“Ok.”

Five minutes later I hear the stirrings of a man cooking in my kitchen. The toaster came down, the toast went in, the egg hit the fry pan, the ham came out of the fridge and the cheese was sliced. In my head all I could think is WHY is he making a ham and egg sandwich when he KNOWS I love them, he makes them better than anyone and I can’t resist?! That’s ok I think, the bread is OroWheat fiber (4 points), he used spray butter (0 points), fat free ham (6 pieces for 1 point), low fat cheese (1 point) and the egg was cooked without oil in a non stick pan (2 points). That’s an 8 point meal, not bad. BUT it is 9:00 pm. So after I calculated the pros and cons of this decision, I was prepared for the minute he shouted out at me, “Do you want a sandwich, love?”

Deep breath. Deep breath. “No, thanks babe, I’m ok.”

Five more minutes pass and I hear him setting his sandwich on the table. I slyly say to him, “How am I supposed to steal a bite if you aren’t sitting in the living room with me?” So my husband joins me on the couch, with his delicious sandwich taunting me and 4 bites in I caved. “OK! I WANT A BITE!” He smiles at me and hands me the sandwich. I take a bite and it is just as delicious as I imagined. In my brain I think, 1 point. I reluctantly handed the sandwich back to him only to take it back 3 more times. Up to 4 points now…4 points after 9:00 p.m. – no bueno. CRAP!

Suddenly I looked down at his hands and he held nothing but a paper towel. Whew, that sandwich is gone! No more temptation. So my ever supportive husband looks over at me and says, “Want me to make you a sandwich?”

“No, I want you to make yourself another one so I can take bites of it and convince myself it isn’t worth as many points that way.”

“Ok, you got it.”

1 comment: