Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Wedding Dress Challenge


Getting married makes me a lot of different things.

Top of the list? Old. In an awesome way. To start, I can’t really believe I sold out to the blogging world. However, there are just sooooo many people I love that are too far away to share these things with. I want them to know the details every step of the way, so what better way to share it than to blog it? So they say….we’ll see if I really just added one more thing to stress about to the extent that my brain explodes right out of my skull prior to December 17th.

So yes, I am getting married. I can’t quite get used to saying it either. It is crazy. And awesome. And overwhelming. And fantastic. And a lot to take in. And out of this world exciting. We have already conquered so many things! Like the venue – couldn’t be happier about that. The save the dates are stuffed and addressed, they just need sent. Expect those soon! Also, got the dress. I may diva it up and rock two different dresses for the entirety of the experience, but that remains to be seen. The expensive dress though? Total check off the list. And. It. Is. Fabulous!

Whomever said dress shopping would be utterly awesome was a big, fat liar. Truly, dress shopping was miserable! I REPEAT, MISERABLE! Maybe it felt so awful because I did not come out of the birth canal skinny and I have to work off every spare calorie I eat with vigorous exercise. People told me there would be a “moment.” They fibbed. I did not put one dress on and just think “OMG THIS IS IT!” Instead, I put about 17 dresses on and thought everything BUT “this is the one.” I thought things like: my boobs looked too big, the skirt looked too poofy, my ass looked about 10 sizes wider than it is, the bead work isn’t fancy enough, there isn’t enough lace, I look like a giant marshmallow, is my gut seriously that huge and finally, I suppose this one will do. Alas, my mother convinced me to try on the final two dresses. Both were complete and utter perfection. No lie, they both looked equally fabulous on my 25-year- old-starting-to-sag body, and then I had to make the awful decision of which dress to decide on! I called Doug, I cried to Andrea, I asked the sales clerk, I petitioned advice from my baby brother….but to no avail. Finally, my Mom came into the dressing room and I sobbingly begged her to make this impossible decision for me. Being the pure genius she is, she took pictures of me in each dress and I decided which one to get based on the way it looked on camera. Pure, total, utter genius, Mom.

So I decide on the dress, I go to order it in because the store only carried champagne and I wanted white, and they say to me that the delivery date is December 6th. Wow. Pushing it much? Only me. It will be worth the wait and I have utter faith the dress will arrive on time. After all, this is my wedding we are talking about here!!!

Dress shopping was traumatizing but it is a relief to have it over with. Douggie, the ever patient fiancée did say to me, “You could be wearing a white sheet and I would still think you were the most beautiful bride ever.” So with a little love from my betrothed I made it through. Well, that, and a very large meal at P.F. Changs.

5 comments:

  1. I, the mother of the bride, just want to say to Ayzlynn's blogging followers..........she looked beautiful in all the dresses. Those of you who know me will attest to the fact that I am very unemotional, and although I didn't let my daughter see it, I did tear up a few times. I quickly managed to cover up my weakness, but I thought she was beautiful in all of the dresses!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Blog! Keep it up sista! You need some decor though. I get backgrounds at hotbliggityblog.com or thecutestblogontheblock.com Good luck with wedding plans! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love it sister!!! i cannot wait for this wedding and im not even getting married lol but i cant wait. i love you and i miss you and oh yea... i love ur fiance too cause he is the bomb diggity. p.s. it says im anonymous but this is me MAGGIE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello future daughter in law. Welcome to the blogging world! I am so excited to read the progress. (and sometimes its therapy to just write and vent on this thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog, I love your dress, and I love you!! Let me know if you need any help with figuring out blogland! :-) See you this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete