Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Proposal of EPIC proportions

I decided if I am going to blog like crazy about the wedding planning, details, excitements, etc….I ought to let the world know how it all started….well not clear from the beginning, but at least the proposal part!! I am throwing out the disclaimer that I knew none of this while it was actually happening, and only came to find these details out at a later date.

Let me start by saying there were many reasons I did not see this proposal coming. Doug’s truck had accrued a costly fix, the timing wasn’t right; he always said he’d propose in the winter….I had given up hope of seeing a ring anytime soon. So that day I asked him if he wouldn’t mind hanging out at my house in the afternoon to sign for my new cell phone. Being the caring man he is, he politely responded that it would be no problem to do so. That afternoon my cousin needed a key off my key ring and being as Douggie’s truck was in the shop, he was cruising around in the jelly bean. As a result, he had my keys and therefore the key Maggie needed. So I called him up and told him she was on her way to my house (where he was SUPPOSED to be) to pick the key up. There was a hesitation in his voice and I inquired in a way that could only be described as irritated about what the problem was. He quickly said, “Nothing, babe I am just not there yet but I will run right over.”

We hung up the phone and I was PEEVED!!! Why would this man say he was able to wait at the house to sign for my cell if he really wasn’t???? So he rushed over to my house and as he was giving the key to my loving family, the FedEx drove by – in a panicked instant Doug dismissed my family and raced after the truck….albeit he was waiting for his very OWN package on that very truck (MY RING!). My cell phone wasn’t in but his package was, and that was all that mattered to him.

He called to let me know my cell wasn’t on the truck and I was a total jerk to him. What did he mean not there? I needed my blackberry! NEEDED IT! So what do I do but demand to know why he was cranky? Him? Cranky? Hardly! He was on top of the world, my ring had arrived! Crazy woman moment at it’s best!

So the night goes on and when he is off work at 8 I asked him to meet me at Tommy Jacks to meet one of my very good, good friends (who is subsequently a bridesmaid!) and with attitude in his voice he agreed. I rushed him there and couldn’t figure out why he was being so moody! Once there he immediately excused himself from the table (I later found out to move the ring into a different pocket so I wouldn’t feel it) and ordered only a cup of gumbo. A cup. Now those of you who don’t know Doug might not find this strange, but those of you who do know that Douglas would not ever order a cup of anything. Ever. I later found out the nerves were preventing a good meal from being eaten!

Doug had recently moved out of his house into a new one because the University had purchased his old house. The old house was vacant at this time and after dinner he told me he wanted to run by the old house because he thought he saw a sign on the door. When we got there he asked me if I wanted to come in and I was a snotty turd and refused…I mean this could technically be considered illegal right? I was NOT going in there!!!! So he went in without me and a few minutes later opens the front door and shouts to me in the car, “Hey babe you gotta come in here real quick! It is awesome!” I proceeded to argue with him for a good 2 minutes about the situation and he finally just slammed the front door to the house and let me stew.

I sat in the car for a solid 3 minutes just to prove I wouldn’t be bossed around. I am stubborn. Surprised? Shouldn’t be. So I stomp begrudgingly up the steps and throw the front door open with attitude to match a 3 year old temper tantrum, and instantly my heart stops, my eyes fill with tears, and I feel like a complete moron. There, in this vacant house, on the empty living room floor are rose petals and candlelight strewn across the hardwood. Doug gave a beautiful speech about the reasons he wanted to ask at that house and dropped to one knee and asked for my hand in marriage. I know I nodded but I think I was crying too hard to actually say yes.

I couldn’t see the ring in the candlelight so he flipped the overhead light on and the instant the stones started to glitter I started bawling all over again. Dream ring. Perfect proposal. Incredible man. Lucky, lucky me. He played music, we danced, I cried some more.

Thankfully his patience out lasted my snotty attitude and he didn’t allow me to sabotage what was the most perfect proposal. Ever.


4 comments:

  1. You are such a doof!! It's a good thing he loves you, otherwise you could have just been sitting outside in the cold!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I am crying again, for the 3rd time and its still so sweet. looking forward to this weekend and meeting the family. see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwwww.......! I love that you almost screwed it all up! btw, glad to see a pretty new background on here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, so not to be a pest or anything..but shouldn't you be updating this thing? I know there was a recent BBQ you could talk about.... just trying to help! :-) Love you!!

    ReplyDelete