Thursday, July 18, 2013

Because I am Content

I swear I went to sleep on May 1st and then I woke up and half of July was gone.  It went that fast. It’s amazing how life happens like that.  In the 12 weeks that I see in my rearview mirror, the blessings were abundant, and I took some advice out of my own page in life and lived so much in the moment that I don’t have many pictures to prove it. Instead, I have wonderful memories, belly laughs and words to catch you up.

The Hubs was given a great opportunity to learn the family business this summer, and while we are grateful for the opportunity, it has been very difficult to be separated from him. I make a conscience effort to thwart my complaining because I am aware there are women and families who give their husbands up for longer periods of time (and for far nobler causes) but what I have learned is that being away from his sucks. Royally.

Before he left we went to my first professional baseball game – it was such a blast.

We went to Miami to surprise our best friends. We have minimal pictures from the trip because we were too busy soaking up every second of life while we were there.

We attended my annual family reunion, which was dampened by many rain showers, but fun nonetheless.

The Hubs attended his annual Mayhem concert, and in doing so, fulfilled one of his long beloved friend traditions.

We both completed summer courses, successfully.

I take a weekly girl date (and it is quickly becoming my favorite day of the week).

I participate in a monthly book club.

I am shoving as many lunch dates in as possible while I still have the time before Fall semester resumes.

I have suffered from exhaustion, lack of sleep, emotional drainage, overpowering joy, unbelievable pleasure, and swift passing of time.  I was lamenting recently about the separation from my spouse and the swift passing of another summer when I decided to sit down on my couch and enjoy, for the first time in MONTHS, complete silence.

I have always loved a level of solitude. I also love the order, the cleanliness, the near silent sounds and the familiar peace of my own home.  It’s one of the reasons I still don’t have a child. I’m not ready for that space to be disturbed. So when I got that space back, when the chaos settled down, when my heart started beating again in time with the second hand on my clock, I took a deep breath and realized that I am absolutely content. And what’s more, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being content. I want better things for my life, but I am thankful for the things I have. Most importantly though, and above all else, I have enormous amounts of faith in what is to come.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment