Tuesday, December 20, 2011

N'Awlins...I learned that's how you say it!


Culture. Pralines. Gumbo. Beignets. Jazz. Lots and lots of jazz.

Oh, and lots of boobies on the street.

New Orleans.

French Quarter.

Café Du Monde.

When I booked our honeymoon one of the things I was most excited about was the fact that we were porting out of New Orleans and we were flying in early to spend some time there! You see, I’d never been to New Orleans and I just couldn’t wait!

Our arrival started off a little rough. Our cab driver drove like a maniac while shouting on his cell phone in a foreign language to someone. I was convinced we might die in a fatal taxi crash before we ever got to our hotel. This is my “smile-I-might-die” look.


After we arrived safely at the hotel, we checked in and rode the tiniest little elevator up to the top floor for our room. I had to pee like a race horse because you know, I can’t use public restrooms, and while I was in the restroom Doug entertained himself with the self-timer on the camera and took the following pictures.




We then quickly set out to explore and experience the French Quarter. I am in love with the old houses all mushed together and the tiny little alley ways. They are the cutest thing ever! I also couldn’t get enough of all the people dressed up in the street and the human statues and the stations with tarot card readings and all the food! We ate at The Gumbo Shop, which was pretty good. I had gumbo, of course, but let me tell you this: I don’t know what all the hype is about. It was just a rice stew. Don’t tell the hubs I said that though, he will go crazy. He thought it was the most delicious thing ever. I was more interested in the hot French bread!






I got some Mardi Gras beads but don’t worry, we paid for them in dollars instead of boobs. 
I didn’t get any pictures (because that would have been gross) but we accidentally stumbled into what Doug called the red light district. They were strip clubs and nude shows and other naughty things lining the street. I was sort of in a daze from the lights and the balconies but I came to when I looked across the street and a woman in lingerie and high heels was popping her boobies up and down.  Aside from being totally shocked (I mean does Wyoming even have a strip club? I was out of my element!) I was also in total awe. That woman must have been doing some serious bench pressing to get her pecs to move like that! Doug told me to stop staring and we quickly made our way out of the red light district!

We really did have a great time in New Orleans. The food was phenomenal and the culture was unlike anything I had ever experienced. I loved how small the streets were and that everywhere you turned you could hear jazz music coming from somewhere. If you followed the sound eventually you’d find someone or a band tucked away in a little corner playing the classics. Also because it was Christmas time we heard a lot of jazzed up Christmas songs.



 The Louis Armstrong Park had preserved buildings where they claim jazz was invented.  We went through the park and looked at the statues and buildings but ran out of time to really spend too much time there. However, I did love looking at the old apartment building and imagining a young trumpet player experimenting with his musical talent to create a musical style that would sensationalize and take the world by storm.

I imagine if I was a partier I would have been more engaged in the night life of New Orleans, but since I am not I just enjoyed the food and culture during daylight hours. As darkness fell I was ready to go back to my hotel room and wait safely inside for the sun to rise again! New Orleans: Crossed off the Bucket List.

1 comment:

  1. Cheyenne alone has two strip clubs lol. Goodness gracious you make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete