Wednesday, October 1, 2014

And Just Like That, September Was Gone

It’s October people! I love the fall. In Laramie, it is a short lived season, and I dream of a day where I live in a climate that gives me three glorious months of sweater weather with bright, changing leaves and pumpkins all around. For now, I will make do with clinging to the last strands of the fading season before my eternal winter begins again. 


Fall, for some reason, always makes me feel nostalgia.  Fall means football, and I feel nostalgia for the days that the Riverton Wolverines were winning state championships as I watched older brothers and cousins play football.  I yearn for the days when I traveled across this state every single Friday to follow around the Laramie Plainsman and watch my little brother live out his senior year with a Mohawk and shoulder pads.  There is a longing that drives me to sing ‘Ragtime Cowboy Joe’ and feel the buzz of War Memorial stadium that only Cowboy’s fans can create.  Canons.  Bands.  Pigskin.  Deep in my soul I feel a drive for sitting on the couch wrapped in a blanket, steaming mug in my hand, fuzzy socks on my feet, football on the TV, the man I love at my side, books in my lap.  There is just something about this season that makes me feel all the feelings so deep down in my soul and running through all my blood. 


Fall has this holiday, though, that I have been avoiding thinking about for quite some time.  Thanksgiving.  A time that is full of the best holiday memories I have.  Memories.  Just memories.  For this year, I will embark upon Thanksgiving without the very Grandparents who made it so special.  The first Thanksgiving after suffering the loss of their presence in this life. I have feared fall this year, not sure if it would bring the same feelings of wistfulness and make my heart as content as it always has in the past. 


I took this silly quiz to determine the color of my aura a few days ago.  One of the questions was, “What drives you?” There was an array of options to choose from, but among them was the simple choice: a need for peace.  Not the kind of peace when war ends, but the kind of peace that applies to feelings in the depths of our souls. Peace. Tranquility. Calm. Restfulness. Quiet.

 That’s what fall is – even this year with it’s scary reminders – fall is peace.  A need that gets met once a year as rain falls, cold fronts move in, leaves crunch under boots, and sweaters make their first appearances.  It is peace. It is fall. And it soothes my restless soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment